My first pregnancy went super well with no issues. I went into labor at home. My water broke and contractions started very slightly after about 45 minutes to an hour. We got to the hospital and got going. Contractions got stronger, but unfortunately not much was happening. I was given pitocin to make contractions pick up in strength although I already thought it was more than I could handle. I wasn’t ashamed at that point of using meds….really I am still not. If I feel like I need them I will ask for them. Anyway, as they got the pitocin going, I was able to start progressing and I got to about 6-7cm dilated before I decided I needed an epidural. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER for me. I developed a fever and so they were watching that as well but the baby appeared to be fine. At that point I was more comfortable but I started to feel sick. At this point about 8-10 hours had already passed. When I was checked again, I hadn’t progressed at all since before the epidural. The doctor then had me flipping from left to right to see if it would help move the baby down needless to say it did not. By then, the doctor had allowed the flipping to go on for about 3-4 hours flipping every half hour. She finally suggested that maybe we would need to look into a c-section. I had had a fever for quite some time and the concern was that I had stopped progressing. After about 18 hours of labor at home as well as at the hospital my doctor said it was time to decide for my safety and that of my little guy that we should seriously consider a c-section. I don’t have any ill feelings toward my doctor about this suggestion. She knew it was not what I wanted because we had discussed it long before we ever got to the delivery day. I could tell she was doing what she thought was best and so being that she would be the “expert” in the situation we went forward with a c-section. After about 40 minutes I had a beautiful 9lb 3oz baby boy to check out. I of course couldn’t hold him..I could hardly keep my eyes open but it was the best feeling ever! My first boy with a head so big that now I think back and wonder where we would have been had I tried to get that big thing out? I may have needed a truly emergency C-section at that point. 7 years later he has grown into his head thankfully!
My second pregnancy about 15 months later was short lived as I miscarried 6 weeks along. I had to have a D&C because it didn’t pass naturally. That was amazingly hard even though it was so early. I cried for a long time for that baby. Thankfully though I did get pregnant again and the pregnancy was wonderful. It was difficult because I did have a toddler running around but good nonetheless. I discussed in great detail again with my doctor my desire to have a VBAC and while she did go over the risks she was super supportive of my wishes and did everything she could to facilitate my going into labor on my own. The week I was due she stripped my membranes to push me into labor on my own because she did let me know that if they had to induce they would not do a VBAC. That was a very uncomfortable procedure but I am grateful for it. So, early in the morning about 2am I started contractions and they were manageable but I knew it was going to get worse. By 5am they were every 30 to 45 minutes. By about 7:30, we were on our way to the hospital. I was pretty sure that the epidural was the reason I didn’t progress in my labor the first time and I really wanted to go as long as I could without any drugs. I wanted to be able to move around and allow my body to do whatever it needed to get this baby out. I labored for about 6-7 hours with really strong and fast contractions but apparently I am a slow laborer and it was working but not very fast. I again got to about 7-8cm dilated this time and I didn’t think I could take it anymore. I let my head get in the way of my progress and I broke down. I needed, I thought, an epidural. Again, not my best idea. If I would have known then that I had essentially made it to the homestretch I would have stuck with it but hindsight, as they say is 20/20. Anyway, my labor slowed down significantly after that and it took me until the evening to get to a point where I was able to push. I was excited….and scared but it was happening. Unfortunately, I couldn’t feel anything, which I do regret, but I was able to successfully get my beautiful baby girl out after about 20 minutes of pushing. I got skin to skin contact this time…AMAZING!! I was wide awake I felt so alive. My daughter was 7lbs 13 oz and I was so happy. I did tear and so they did have to stitch me up afterwards but I can tell you I would take that over another C-section any day of the week.
I’m currently pregnant with my third and due in January. I plan again on having a VBAC. I’m a little nervous because it will be with a new doctor this time. My old doctor is too far from where I live now. I did find a VBAC friendly practice after searching long and hard. This pregnancy has not been as easy as the first two but that’s ok…the reward at the end of this journey makes it all worthwhile.